Wednesday, July 25, 2007

fairy tales.

some might say that i am quite a movie fanatic. others might say that i am a complete bookworm. both would be correct. i have been known to IMDB just about everything, obnoxiously quote my favorite movies, & know random facts about movies i have never even seen. i always have a book in my oversized purse. if im in greenville, 90% of the time you can find me in barnes & noble. i like stories... whether told through film or books. i have a rule where i always read the book first. i can develop my own images. movies just develop them for you. i love the stories because they are other people's problems, other people's triumphs, failures, love lives. it is fake. separate from reality. it doesnt affect me. alter my life. i like stories because i am so detached from it. just a member of the audience. i didnt have to "feel" if i didnt want to.

sometimes we get sucked into these stories. most movies and books that are fiction, do not accurately portray the events of life. i have never been rowed into an entire cove of swans by an exboyfriend who has spent the last 6 years of his life restoring the house i had dreamed of living in one day. i didnt get voted prom queen, homecoming queen, student body president, captain of the cheerleading squad... all while dating the quarterback of the football team. the boy doesnt always get the girl, the underdog doesnt always come back from a 50 point deficit and win the championship game. ive never had a boy drive cross country all through the night to show up on my doorstep and tell me he loved me and always had and that he couldnt live without me. does that happen at all? to anyone? we get lost in the fairy tales. the happily ever afters. carrie stokes told me some of the best advice ive ever heard in my entire life: "expectations are joy's greatest thief". we buy into the lie that life is actually like that... sleepless in seattle. sweet home alabama. sixteen candles. and when that boy doesnt show up at our door months later. when the cinderella team doesnt win the game. when the dad doesnt make it home from war. when the boy doesnt get the girl. we are SO let down. disappointed. that our lives didnt play out like a movie on a big screen or this month's new york times' best seller.

i dont know how i got off on this tangent or how i started thinking about this today. all i know is i was listening to the Jon McLaughlin song Just Give It Time... and this is what spurred from spurred from it. that song def sums up my entire senior year of college (the 1st senior year. not the 2nd.. which is about the begin. yay for 5th yr seniors.) listen to the song. read the lyrics. i think its pretty freakin awesome.

yay for talking to beansy tonight through our awesome messaging system that we have had going on all summer long.

tomorrow i get to see wilksy :) driving to cola town after work to save her & whatever sanity she has left. i move on saturday!

p.s. where are the rhett butler's of the world? they need to rise up.

there's one thing I do know... and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and the whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. I've loved you more than I've ever loved any woman and I've waited for you longer than I've ever waited for any woman. Here's a soldier of the South who loves you, Scarlett. Wants to feel your arms around him, wants to carry the memory of your kisses into battle with him.
-rhett butler talking to scarlett o'hara (Gone With the Wind)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Jame.